Woods Country Cove

Monday, August 5, 2013

Another Bird Sighting

 

Hello all .

Hope all my fellow Canadians have had a good long weekend ..and those across the pond  had a good weekend as well !

The weather here has been cool and comfortable during the day and even better at night . Like fall is already upon us .

This morning as I was making our tea I heard a strange bird call that I have never heard here before ! I went out on the patio with my cup of tea as I do every morning and heard it again . Papa was on his way outside and I hollered  to him to please get my camera as I have spotted a different bird in our tree . Well I hadn’t looked away for long and then there were 3 more  . I didn’t know what they were but I just had to get photos !

Summer 2013 (2 of 15)

It’s hard to see them as they blend in very well with the branches !

So I just clicked away ! Papa took some photos to he was on the other side of the tree ! Oh my .. what must the neighbours think  … WHO CARES ! I say … we are taking photos and will do just about anything to get them lol ! Even be right under them looking straight up feeling like I am gona fall backwards  on me bum  and sneaking ever so quietly  closer so not to scare them off !

Summer 2013 (6 of 15)

Summer 2013 (1 of 1)

Summer 2013 (3 of 3)

I then got my trusty bird book and  identified them by my photos up close  as Juvenile American bitterns . I have never seen one let alone 4 …what a treat !

bird

bird-2

bird-3

                     Funny looking and sounding birds they are ! But all are welcome in our yard !

                                     Time for our evening cup a tea and TV show or movie ….  so I am off for now !

                                                  Until next time .   Thanks for popping by !

                                                         Country Gal

11 comments:

DeniseinVA said...

Oh lucky you, that was exciting! I haven't seen one either. I think I would fall out of my shoes if I did :)

Michelle said...

Don't think I have ever seen one!

RURAL said...

Always great to add another bird to the count.

I am pretty sure I saw a Oriel the other day, that golden breast is quite vibrant.

I get super excited over birds too, now the neighbors know that I will be out there with the camera, they no longer think anything about it.

Jen

Lois Evensen said...

How exciting!

Linda said...

I have never heard of that bird!
I do the same thing, Elaine...when I hear a new bird song...look around, and try to spot where it is coming from!

Great post!
Happy bird-watching!

Cheers!
Linda :o)

grammie g said...

Hi Elaine...Wow... how exciting for you to see 4 no less !!
Great that you got some photo's especially to be able to ID with!!
I have seen one in reeds at the pond!!
I am really surprised to see them in a tree : ) to cute!!
Grace

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

HI Well that was a treat for you. I can just imagine you creeping forward and forward hoping that you didn't disturb them until you got the shots.Well done, you deserve your cup of tea now!

Jane and Chris said...

I've never seen a baby before! Woohoo! You must have been so excited.
Jane x

Jane and Chris said...

PS Glad you didn't fall on your bum...but it would have been a great photo!!
Jane x

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

According to Grenville, bitterns are usually found around marshes so wondering if there are any of those near your home. Perhaps these young ones were on a training flight.

Lisa Sall - Sall's Country Life said...

I've never heard of that one! How exciting, newcomers in your neighborhood!!