Woods Country Cove

Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Finally Caught Him On Camera


I have been hearing this guy about for the past few weeks and he l;likes to stay hidden and make all his odd sounds defiantly not a song bird but an interesting bird to say the least .  Miggs and I were outside early this morning at 5:30am I set up my sprinklers in my gardens to give them a good drink as it has been very dry here due to the lack of rain . I heard him and tried to follow his sound but he was elusive till he decided to come out of hiding and be nosey , I am glad I had my camera on the patio porch table .

JULY 2018 (1 of 1)He landed in our spruce tree in the back of our little forest . A Juvenile Green Heron. As the river and marshy swampy area are so close to us latterly steps away we have them about but they just like to keep out of sight until this guy wanted a birds eye view lol !

JULY 2018 (1 of 1)-2

                       Checking out the goings on below as two other bird species were making a ruckus .

JULY 2018 (1 of 1)-3They are quite nice looking birds and even nicer when they get all their shiny greenish blue colours when they are adults like this one .

70691741-720px

I haven't seen to many adults stopping off in our yard just in the river and swampy area of our valley .

JULY 2018 (1 of 1)-4But I am he did cause I have been wanting to get his photo for some time . Thankyou young Heron for striking a few poses for me .

The weather has been wonderful and sunny every day and not to hot either with nice cool breezes and Miggs and I are out from sunrise to sunset taking it all in . I have been monarch counting and sending mu numbers in to a Facebook group I belong to  called Monarchs Migrating Through Ontario  who most of them raise tag and release their monarchs and some even follow them down to Mexico a very wonderful group and I have also been able to report to them that we have lots of common milk weed in the field beside us and soon to be tons of Golden rod two of monarchs favorite nectar flowers . This fall I am going to try my hand at harvesting the milkweed pods from the field and grow my own in a wild flower garden for next summer .

                                                                            Until next time Have a great week !

                                                                                             Country Gal

4 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

How great is that. Not everybody gets a green heron visiting their garden.

William Kendall said...

Beautiful bird! I imagine green herons make it up this way, but probably stick to the countryside.

Linda said...

Great sighting, so glad you were able to capture him with your camera 📷

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I have only seen an adult green heron when we lived in VA and their colors are quite striking as you noted, Elaine. Hooe this juvenile will return when its older as well.