Woods Country Cove

Friday, June 8, 2018

A Real Treat For The Birder & Photographer In Me


Well I have seen my first and photographed my first Red Headed Woodpecker . I saw this very pretty bird swoop in and about our large tree where our feeders are under . I didn't know what he was or was able to see him very clearly as he was fast . Then he stopped at one of the feeders but just for a split second long enough to scoop a seed from the feeder and  dash off. So I got my camera and sat ever so still , well as usual murphy's law when ya have your camera in hand nothing but when ya don't have your camera well yeah  your subject appears .. a lot lol ! So I thought ok little bird I will be ready and be patient , photographing birds takes a lot of patience so good thing I love it all .

So I sat and sat and sat I got my smart phone and looked up on my fave birding site Cornell Lab Of Ornithology to find is markings or some bird that is similar to him, I found what I think was him and then I read about him and listened to some of his calls   .. then all of a sudden he dashes in scoops about the tree again and sits right on the shepherds hook that holds the Nyjer feeders beside his feeder and he sat there and sat there looking at me and the area  , so I made one of his sounds kind of like a cat purring and he was intrigued and so he sat there in wonder as I was taking his photo in wonder and awe !JUNE 2018 (5 of 15)JUNE 2018 (3 of 15)

He was cocking his head as I was making one of his calls , I bet he was thinking this chick is nuts lol !

JUNE 2018 (7 of 15)I didn't want to get to close to him and scare him away so I stayed on the patio porch that is only about 25feet away and thankfully I love to use my telephoto zoom lens that gets close with out getting close lol ! Then POOF he was gone , I haven't seen or heard him since but I have photos of him  and that was an awesome treat for me . I love having new birds visit our feeders and yard .

                                                                         Until next time

                                                                                Country Gal

3 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

What a nice encounter for you. Your patience paid off. I'm sure I would have lost mine. :)

William Kendall said...

A pretty bird!

Linda said...

Fantastic sighting and photos. Patience is a virtue!