Woods Country Cove

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

My Child hood Christmas Memories

               part 1

I have a lot of  wonderful Christmas memories as a I was growing up but the one I love the most was back in 1972 I was 5 years old when my dad made tracks in the snow Christmas eve for me to wake up to and see Christmas morning !

We lived on a hobby farm in a county  called Caledon . It was all beautiful farm land, rolling hills and beautiful green grass in the summers. The winters were long very cold and the snow would be deep some times drifts up to 25 feet. I remember being able to walk up to the barns and just walk up the drifts onto the roof tops and opening our front door with a surprise of a wall of snow that we had to dig out of to get out the door ,even the fencing around our property was deep under snow .Those days were defiantly Canadian winters. It was those winters that gave our country the nick name of the great white north !

Christmas morning at 5 years old I a woke to my dad at my bedroom door waiting for me to get up, he was like a kid at Christmas, it was his favourite time of year. When I woke up I put my robe and slippers on then my dad took me to our front window to show me that Santa had been there ! I said daddy I know Santa was here cause he left presents for me under the tree ! Well my dad said yes  miss muffit  but he also left some tracks out in the snow ! I looked harder, then dad said put your boots and coat on and come with me. So dad and I went out to the front and what did I see was eight tiny rain dear prints  there was rain dear  poop, Santa's boot prints and  sleigh prints in the snow. I was soo happy and couldn't believe what I saw ! Well my face lite up and that made my dad so very happy to see.

Years later I found out that my dad had made all the prints in the snow ! See he used an old broken hockey stick for the sleigh prints, used sheep poop and a hoof for the dear prints and his big old winter boots for Santa's boot prints ! My dad loved Christmas and he loved  seeing our faces light up every year at the magic that Christmas brings !

0006

                                                   Our beagle Cookie & I !

0020

   Caledon in the winter ! Our dog Bessie & I she was a Hungarian Vizsla  a great bird dog and family dog ! !0045

                                         I was 10 years old in these photos

0043

These are some of my wonderful memories of  winter and Christmas in the country on our farm !

                                  Until next time , hope you all have a wonderful day !

                                                        Country Gal

5 comments:

Anna said...

All I can say is what a great dad and wonderful times you had.Have a great day! Warm regards, Anna

grammie g said...

Oh Elaine...I love that story ..what a great Dad ..my Dad was not into Christmas ,but my Mom did what she could to make it special..the cookie's and milk and a wet spot on the floor from Santa's boots lol!
What a great memory to have ..love the old photo's and the tinsle on the tree : }

Have a lovely few days before Chritmas unless your like me with all kinds of last minute ideas..lol
Grace

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Wonderful memories! my family was big on Santa and the goodies we left for him were odd, but appealed to our Santa, an onion sandwich and a little glass of scotch!

trump said...

Merry Christmas to you and your readers, I'm just stopping by new blogs that i think are interesting. And then ill put some of those on my favorites list to visit again. Happy holidays folks and wishing everyone a healthy new years as well. Richard from a Amish community in Pennsylvania.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Elaine, thanks for sharing your Christmas memories. This was a wonderful one and what a creative dad too.