Woods Country Cove

Sunday, February 27, 2011

MY CHILDHOOD STORY AND PHOTOS ON THE FARM part #1

It all started when my parents came to Canada from England and settled in Toronto Canada with my sister  and then my brother was born they then moved to a small farming town in Brampton Ontario Canada were I was born March 1966.

                                     0047

They were in the small farming town for a year and then they decided to move north of this town to the country and try their hand at a hobby farm. We then moved in 1967 to this bungalow in the country in a area called Caledon. I think they thought it would be good for us kids to grow up in the country around animals and  the sweet fresh country  air.

                                       0013

It was a nice property with lots of potential, green pastures and space for us kids to play.  There was no barn or coop just a small animal type shed and a dog kennel for two. My parents had all kinds of plans and a lot of work ahead of them but they were never afraid of hard work. My dad worked at a steel company called Brockhouse that was in the city and my mum stayed home and attended to her gardens us kids and the farm whilst dad was at work.

                                          0009

My mum always had fresh veggies from her garden and always cooked home made meals and made  baked deserts .She would have so much food from her gardens that she would freeze them over the winters so she could have fresh veggies in the cold months to put in her soups and stews. We had chickens and we loved the fact that we could go to the coop and get fresh eggs right out our back door.

                                           0028

Mum feeding her guys and gals, and yes she always wore a apron or as the British called it her piny! even under her lumber jacket you can see the yellow of her piny peeking out.That's one of the things I remember most of my mum was her in her piny. We never had large herds of any animal just enough for my mum and dad to handle each year.

                                            0010

My dad and I with our new calves that he got from a local farmer for their start on the hobby farm.We were weird in a comical way at naming our animals these guys were named steak and hamburger . We did live off of our small live stock .I think my parents did a bit of both hobby farming for the pleasure as well to live off of . I was always with my dad whilst he was out with the animals, back then I had no fear and loved them all as I still do to this day ! There is a story in our family of me at the age of 4 swinging on these guys tails when they were fully grown! My dad said then he nearly had a heart attack when he saw me ! I was a tom boy to the core even though my mum tried to put me in dresses or skirts they didn't stay on long as I would  pull them off in no time. We had sheep, chickens, ducks rabbits , cattle , horses. dogs and cats and the odd stray every now and then.

0008 My sister and I . Mum always tried to get me in dresses  or skirts as I said they weren't on long lol I hated  them ! still do !

                                              0014

My brother with one of his sheep in there he named her Lucky, she was the first to lamb and always did a fine job year after year. We had always named our animals , there also was Jenny and Lucy, then Glen, Larry and Franco they were the rams.

                                           0005

Me with our spring lambs I was 4 years old. This photo was used as a add for another steel company that my dad delt with through his steel company Brockhouse.

                                       0003

  Dad ,I and his shepherd Tina. She was a gentle dog and I loved to play with her. We also had a beagle named Cookie they loved to play and run around the property when we were outside but my parents kept them in a kennel with plenty of room to move and house that was insulated to protect them from the weather and the heat and cold of the seasons.They were also aloud in the house the odd occasion

00060021

My sister and brother had their own horses . Their names were Tardy cause he took so long to be born , Sparky that was as my mum called him the little bugger cause he had a nasty attitude, and then there was my sisters horse Gypsy.

0012          0023

0033                00180024     

Well that is all for now I will post part 2 of my childhood on the farm tomorrow.

                                              Hope you all have a great day !

                                             canstock2135500[1]       COUNTRY GALcanstock2135500[1]

6 comments:

Verde Farm said...

What a wonderful childhood you must have had. The farm and pics are beautiful. I love the one of your mom with the chickens. I think a country life with fresh air and work is a great way to raise kids too. Thanks for sharing :)

Julie Marie said...

What a lovely post!... such a beautiful place to grow up in... I do believe you love all of God's precious little creatures as much as I do!... love the photo of you with the lamb... and your mama in her "piny"... so many wonderful photos full of precious memories... thanks for sharing... xoxo Julie Marie

Patsy said...

What a happy life ,love your story and pictures.
I lived in the city but my grands had a farm and I love to stay the summers with them.

Faye Henry said...

YOU SURE WERE A CUTIE PIE.....

Far Side of Fifty said...

Great old photos, you sure were cute! That first photo is a really nice. I enjoyed the history:)

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thanks for sharing this story about your parents, home, animals and siblings, Elaine. Nice way to spend a snowy day for sure as I had just read your previous posts about the snowstorm you were experiencing. Rain is expected here today. Glad Miggy is doing so well too.